Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm writing a blog, natch...



Natch. I'm not a big fan of this word. I've read it before, but refused to look up it's meaning until today. It's always annoyed me, like [sic]. That bothers me too, but it has a purpose. To find out that the meaning of the word is more annoying than I thought it was is somewhat gratifying. So if you didn't already know what it means, you are probably wondering if I'll get around to telling you. Ok fine.

Natch is a slang term basically meaning "of course." The term started somewhere around the mid 1940's as a shortened version of "naturally." Naturally. That makes sense, but is still annoying. It's bothers me to think that the people of the 1940's were not the stoic, dark color- woolen-clothing-wearing people that I imagine them to be. That they talked like LA Valley girls is strange to me. Apparently "During the middle 1940s there was a rage for abbreviations, e.g. natch (naturally)..." It really makes me look at my parents and grandparents a little differently when I hear about things like this. They were my age once! How weird!

No comments: